About THE WAVLD
Dr. Benjaman Jarra of Mexico visited the National Animal Disease Laboratory in Ames, 1976 to consult with Dr. Vaughn Seaton and others. A new Veterinary Research and Diagnostic Laboratory at Palo Alto, Mexico was to be dedicated in 1977. Planning began for the organizational meeting of the WAVLD to coincide with the dedication of the new lab.
The first informal ISWAVLD meeting was held in Guanajuato, Mexico in 1977 with several hundred in attendance. At the Mexico meeting, Dr. Hans Glattli, lobbied to host the second ISWAVLD meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland, 1980.
A decision was made in Switzerland to name the new organization the “WAVLD” and Dr. Seaton installed as the first President. He remained in that position for 6 years. The WAVLD constitution and bylaws were approved at the third ISWAVLD meeting in Ames, Iowa, USA in 1983.
World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
The mission of the WAVLD is to improve animal health, human health and One Health by facilitating the availability of quality laboratory testing provided by veterinary diagnostic laboratories around the world.
This mission is accomplished by:
- Disseminating the latest scientific knowledge relating to diagnostic veterinary medicine through the planning and delivery of outstanding continuing educational symposium.
- Facilitating and encouraging the organization of associations of veterinary laboratory diagnosticians in all countries of the world.
- Helping to identify consulting assistance to countries wishing to build and operate state-of-the-art veterinary diagnostic laboratories.
- As an association officially recognized by the OIE and the World Veterinary Association, work to promote the standardization and quality of diagnostic laboratory medicine around the world.
- Supporting other activities to improve the health and welfare of humans and animals throughout the world in the true One Health spirit.
Past Meetings of the WAVLD
2017, Sorrento, Italy
2015, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
2013, Berlin, Germany
2011, Bogota, Colombia (cancelled)
2009, Madrid, Spain
2007, Melbourne, Australia
2005, Montevideo, Uruguay
2003, Bangkok, Thailand
2001, Parma, Italy
1999, College Station, TX, USA
1996, Jerusalem, Israel
1994, Buenos Aires, Argentina
1992, Lyon, France
1989, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
1986, Amsterdam, Netherlands
1983, Ames, Iowa, USA
1980, Lucerne, Switzerland
1977, Guanajuato, Mexico
Dr. Gian Luca Autorino – Rome, Italy
WAVLD President 2017 – 2018